[Portland] libdapii

Lubos Lunak l.lunak at suse.cz
Wed Mar 1 02:25:51 EET 2006

On Wednesday 01 March 2006 01:11, Dan Kegel wrote:
> On 2/28/06, Lubos Lunak <l.lunak at suse.cz> wrote:
> > As far
> > as the C API goes, that is. I don't see any advantage for e.g. Qt/KDE
> > code - easy serialization of advanced types will suddenly become
> > error-prone and cumbersome, C-style callsbacks as well, and so on.
>
> My hunch is that C++ APIs, or C wrappers around C++ APIs, suffer
> from ABI issues.  In particular, the problem identified by Mike Hearn
> here http://gcc.gnu.org/ml/gcc/2005-04/msg00928.html
> (I can give more links if needed).
> Non-KDE client libraries meant to be linked to from apps should
> be implemented in pure C to avoid these issues.
> The server side can of course be implemented in C++ without
> running into this problem.

 I don't intend to make the generic C API client library to use any C++ or to
link to any additional libraries (except maybe DBUS later). This is about
Qt/KDE code, where it might be simpler to generate native C++ directly rather
than twisting it to match the C API. As Qt/KDE code already is C++ code
there's no additional C++ problem caused by this (especially if the generated
code simply becomes part of Qt instead of being a separate library).

--
Lubos Lunak
KDE developer
SuSE CR, s.r.o.  e-mail: l.lunak at suse.cz , l.lunak at kde.org