[Portland] why not a CLI?

Dan Kegel dank at kegel.com
Sat Mar 4 00:58:12 EET 2006

On 3/3/06, Aaron J. Seigo <aseigo at kde.org> wrote:
> On Friday 03 March 2006 10:18, Dan Kegel wrote:
> >  There's no reason to wait for the API, though;
> >  the CLI apps can be prototyped separately.
> >  And I wouldn't be surprised if they were the
> >  first tangible result of the portland effort,
> >  followed later by the protocol or api approaches.
>
> it's far easier to go wrap command line tools around an interface than to
> start with a command line apps (esp if they are bash scripts ;) and turn them
> into a library.

But nothing should stop anyone who has a burning
desire to write those shell scripts from writing them
now, without waiting for the API; they can later
be rewritten to use the API.

I don't think any of this was settled at the meeting.
It's up to the supporters of each approach to code
up a prototype with their favorite approach; we
can combine them all sensibly as time goes on.

- Dan