[Portland] Consistent messaging

John Cherry cherry at osdl.org
Sat Mar 11 08:17:58 EET 2006

On Fri, 2006-03-10 at 19:10 -0600, Jeremy White wrote:
> > The Portland Project is working in concert with the Linux Standards Base
> > (LSB) to document and standardize the application programming
> > interfaces. The Portland Project interfaces will not break any existing
> > applications interfaces supported by desktop environments. In other
> > words, existing applications will continue to work even if they do not
> > employ the new Portland Project interfaces.
>
> I continue to think it is really important to keep the vision
> of "The MSDN of Linux"(*).
>
> That is, while I think the new library (and hopefully command line
> tools <grin>) are very promising, I continue to think that a key
> reachable goal is to create the one stop guide for an ISV.  Admittedly
> the library is a fantastic way to start that, because you can then
> clearly document what is or is not possible.
>
> I recognize that may be a dead horse, and I'll shut up about it
> if the clear vision is two things - an API focused "Portland Project"
> and a separate "Desktop ISV portal".  But if the vision is at all
> still muddy, I think they should be one and the same, and I think
> that the message around the portal should not be lost.
>
> </dead horse>

The horse is not completely dead.  Bryce recently sent the following to
the developer_portal mailing list (an almost dead list)....

The original announcement and concept:

http://lists.osdl.org/pipermail/desktop_architects/2006-January/000704.html

The first cut at a prototype:
  http://developer.osdl.org/bryce/DesktopArchitects/

http://developer.osdl.org/bryce/DesktopArchitects/wiki/index.php/Main_Page

Basically, it's just a wiki where content can be hung, and then once a
month make a release with whatever docs passed the review process.

I'd appreciate feedback on the concept/process mentioned in the email
above.  However, unfortunately I'm going to be on vacation the last half
of this month, so I won't be able to do much on this until April.