[Portland] Proposal - desktop-integration-utils

Banginwar, Rajesh rajesh.banginwar at intel.com
Wed Mar 15 01:46:57 EET 2006

I would actually suggest extending the desktop-file-utils (which is
already part of most of the Linux distros) package instead of creating a
new one. At least for all the command line tools. This has two
advantages: It will be easier for distros to pick it up (even the ones
which are already feature freeze like SLES10) in their service
pack/update cycle. Another advantage is all similar tools will be in one
place/package.

For this to be useful to as many ISVs as possible, the tools should
become part of the distributions. Once they get accepted by most of the
distros, LSB can come up and document these in addition to making it
part of the LSB desktop certification.

Thanks,

-Rajesh