[Portland] xdg-utils - allowing for distro overrides

Kevin Krammer kevin.krammer at gmx.at
Wed Mar 15 14:03:38 EET 2006

On Tuesday 14 March 2006 21:29, Dan Kegel wrote:
> On 3/14/06, Jeremy White <jwhite at codeweavers.com> wrote:
> > If I bundle xdg-utils 1.0 in my application, a user
> > may eventually install my software on a system that has
> > xdg-utils 2.0 installed. ...
> >
> >   1.  Use the PATH, luke
> >
> >       Specify to ISVs that the proper way to invoke
> >       xdg-utils is to put their interal bin directory
> >       *last* in the path, and then to invoke the xdg-utils
> >       straight up, allowing local path precedence to
> >       take over.
>
> That's the one I like.  It's really, really simple.
> - Dan

I agree with Dan.
I think it is also important to remember that, at least the current
implementation, calls the DE tools according to PATH, so a different approach
would require to also look for the respective tool executables to be sure
they are the ones the script can handle.

Cheers,
Kevin

--
Kevin Krammer <kevin.krammer at gmx.at>