[Portland] Current plan summarized

Kevin Krammer kevin.krammer at gmx.at
Wed Mar 15 19:45:16 EET 2006

On Wednesday 15 March 2006 17:46, Dan Kegel wrote:
> On 3/15/06, Kevin Krammer <kevin.krammer at gmx.at> wrote:
> > Current DAPI approach
> >
> > application --marshalled API call--> DAPI daemon (service implementation)
> >
> > Your suggestion:
> >
> > application -- marshalled API call --> DBus  -- marshalled API call -->
> > service implementation
> >
> > Using DBus as the transport actually has one daemon more, the
> > DBus-Daemon.
>
> If I recall properly, all new linux distros are going to have a DBus daemon
> running anyway.  The system I'm running right now (Ubuntu 05.10) does.

Yes, and if I recall correctly, ISVs still offer support for older ones, e.g.
Debian Sarge :)

Anyway, I was just trying to clarify that the current DAPI design does not
need an additional daemon for the IPC, because the communication is directly
between application and service.

The daemon Lubos is writing about is the service implementation, which is just
one of the possible methods, see below.

> > In both cases DEs can do the service implementation in an extra process,
> > but don't have to, e.g. KDE could implement it as another kded module
> > (i.e. plugin; kded is the KDE service daemon which is always present in
> > KDE sessions)
>
> Ah, I see, we're having a "should kde switch to dbus" argument without
> realizing it.

No, I was only explaining that a service implementation can be done either in
an additional process, or done as part of the already running DE
infrastructure.

Indendent of the IPC mechanism, i.e. a kded plugin can work with a socket
_and_ with a DBus connection.

Cheers,
Kevin

--