[Portland] Proposal - desktop-integration-utils

Bryce Harrington bryce at osdl.org
Wed Mar 15 19:46:17 EET 2006

On Wed, Mar 15, 2006 at 04:52:22PM +0100, Kevin Krammer wrote:
> On Wednesday 15 March 2006 16:24, Dan Kegel wrote:
> > On 3/15/06, Kevin Krammer <kevin.krammer at gmx.at> wrote:
> > > Since they are external executables, would ISVs find a GPL like licence
> > > still too restrictive?
> >
> > Nah.  GPL is probably fine.  (That's the license currently used by
> > desktop-file-utils.)
>
> Good, I usually prefer to use GPL for executables, but I wanted to get your
> (ISVs) opinion on that.

If there is a statement included in the README to the effect that it is
intended that ISV's are allowed to include these with non-GPL'd and
closed source applications, then that will clarify concerns people may
have in the future.

Eben Moglen said that where ambiguities arise in the license, then
stated intent from the developers works to clarify that.

Bryce