[Portland] xdg-utils proof of concept

Kevin Krammer kevin.krammer at gmx.at
Thu Mar 16 00:28:53 EET 2006

On Wednesday 15 March 2006 21:49, Jeremy White wrote:
> >  PS: You scripts people should perhaps hurry up a bit, because if you
> > don't, I may be fully ready even before you, including wrapper scripts ;)
> > .
>
> Dang nab you; you managed to goad me into hurrying (and my day job is
> going to suffer, I can tell :-/) <grin>.
>
> So here is a first cut of an 'xdg-utils' package.
>
> I'm attaching the explanatory README to this email; the 25K tar ball can
> be downloaded here:
>   http://www.codeweavers.com/~jwhite/xdg-utils.tar.bz2
>
> I went very fast and loose so I'm sure it has lots of problems,
> but this at least demonstrates my thinking.

I like the idea to "build" the scripts and have common code included by this
rather then duplicating it.

One comment regarding the documentation though:
xdg-open-url will open the given entity in the preferred application, which
is, depending on protocol and MIME type, not necessarily a browser.

xdg-open-url README

opens it in KWrite, independent of the "detected" desktop. (minimum GNOME
installation, it would very likely use a GNOME text editor if there were one
available)

Cheers,
Kevin

--