[Portland] Current plan summarized

Kevin Krammer kevin.krammer at gmx.at
Thu Mar 16 21:40:44 EET 2006

On Thursday 16 March 2006 11:12, nf2 wrote:
> Kevin Krammer wrote:
> > On Wednesday 15 March 2006 11:47, nf2 wrote:
> >> I'm still not convinced regarding the static linking of the interface
> >> library. We have not discussed this thoroughly and perhaps it's too
> >> early to decide. I think there are two options here:
> >
> > Static linking has the advantage that starting an application on a system
> > without "DAPI" support will not fail due to unresolved symbols.
> >
> > Of course there is always the possibility to have the API part of the
> > library statically linked and the IPC part dlopen'ed.
>
> Perhaps a "strong" package dependency would be ok. Otherwise the
> application developer has to deal with another fallback-case.

ISVs usually don't use package dependencies at all. They either link
statically or ship the shared library as well.
Unless it is part of some kind of standard like LSB.

> >> 1) Standardize protocol, socket locations, dapi-daemon
> >> startup-scripts... 2) Standardize the API of a dynamically linked
> >> dapi-client library (You can still have convenience wrappers for
> >> C++,...), hiding all the IPC complexity.
> >
> > As long as the API specification stays within bounds of complexity that
> > allows generation of bindings, I'd prefer the first one.
>
> We will see. Async stuff is not trivial and Lubos code is not truely
> non-blocking yet. It's going to be quite a lot of code to write and
> debug if you reinvent the dapi client wheel several times.

Let's explain it this way: no other communication method I can think of
specifies the access library, but all the examples I can come up with specify
the protocol instead: X11, DBUS, DCOP, Corba, IP, TCP/UDP, HTTP, etc

Cheers,
Kevin

--
Kevin Krammer <kevin.krammer at gmx.at>