[Portland] xdg-utils proof of concept

Kevin Krammer kevin.krammer at gmx.at
Fri Mar 17 19:47:28 EET 2006

On Friday 17 March 2006 16:19, Jeremy White wrote:
> > My point is that the description "opens browser" is misleading as it will
> > open the default handler for the given URL, which is not necessarily a
> > browser as illustrated with the README (plain text file).
>
> And, on a side note, my apologies for renaming it from xdg-open
> to xdg-open-url.  I wanted to start more basic; the thinking was that
> 'third tier' WMs (even twm) could probably support some form of open-url,
> but that the more sophisticated 'open' behaviors (e.g. with README)
> weren't guaranteed.

I understand this motivation, however I think it will be more difficult to
persuade gnome-open and kfmclient to use a browser when the given URL would
be handled by a different program.

So I suggest we use "xdg-open" for now and its behavior of using the
respective preferred application.

As a side note: I have code for my QDS project (qds.berlios.de) that uses data
from mailcap and mime.types for fallback launching.
If there is interest I will try to convert it from Qt to standard C++ only and
produce a tool "mailcap-open".

The xdg-open script could then check for the availabilty of this program and
use it in the generic case.

Cheers,
Kevin

--