[Portland] Current plan summarized

Jon A. Cruz jon at joncruz.org
Wed Mar 22 19:05:42 EET 2006

On Mar 16, 2006, at 2:51 PM, Lubos Lunak wrote:

> On Thursday 16 March 2006 22:58, Jon Cruz wrote:
>> On Thursday, March 16, 2006, at 09:34 AM, nf2 wrote:
>
>>> -) Name/location of the socket? (careful! it might have to stay
>>> in the
>>> same place for the next 10 years)
>
>  It should do just fine next to the DCOP or DBUS socket. Symlinks
> or the DCOP
> technique of having a text file that contains the actual socket
> name can take
> care of possible moving later (although I don't really see why).
>
>>> -) Which protocol to use (homegrown, dbus-1.0, dbus-2.0,...)?
>>> -) Perhaps clients have to read a config-file to look up the socket
>>> name. Where to find the config-file?
>
>  They don't, it's hardcoded in the source.
>

>> Perhaps Zeroconf for discovery?
>
>  Why?

Well, it's just something to look at since one of the main functions
of Zeroconf is service discovery such as this. From some viewpoints,
its use can be  seen as similar to the system tray protocol where
arbitrary multiple providers and consumers can all interact without
the need for fixed configuration or lock files, etc.