"make test" target (was Re: [Portland] xdg-utils proof of concept)

Jeremy White jwhite at codeweavers.com
Tue May 2 05:42:36 PDT 2006

> Anyway, please give 'make test' a shot and let me know if anyone runs
> into strange issues.  If this looks like an ok approach to folks, I'll
> expand the tests to cover the rest of the scripts, as I have time.
> It would be great if when people add new functionality to a given
> script, if they could also update it's test file to include test(s) for
> that functionality.

Hey Bryce,

I spent some time looking at this.

I think that real testing is going to require
interaction with the user.  (For example, I just
tried to make a menu - did it actually appear?)

On the other hand, xdg-copy fails quite simply
for me, and manual tests would pick up on that kind of
failure handily.

So I think we should also add another mechanism; maybe
  INTERACTIVE=1 make test
?

I'm working up an interactive xdg-utils test program.
In it's current form it's fairly silly, but I intend to
break it out into pieces suitable for using as tests.

Is there a convention for doing interactive tests
during a 'make test' run?

Cheers,

Jeremy