[Portland] xdg-screensaver.in

Bryce Harrington bryce at osdl.org
Wed May 10 12:38:54 PDT 2006

On Wed, May 10, 2006 at 03:14:51AM -0700, Bastian, Waldo wrote:
> I think it makes more sense to have an API in the X-server to "suspend"
> the screensaver for a defined amount of time rather than disable it
> entirely. That way you don't end up with a disabled screensaver when an
> application crashes, which would have a security impact.

The suspend function in xdg-screensaver restores the screensaver
regardless of whether the application crashes.  If the application
wishes, it can also restore the screensaver on its termination.

I tested this out a bit with terminating applications and am pretty
certain there is no problem, but if you see a common way that an app
crash could leave the screensaver disabled when using this script, tell
me and I'll take a look.

Of course, it would be great if X had a built in suspend functionality,
but I could not find any mention of such a capability online.  And even
if it got it tomorrow, there'd be a lot of legacy X's around without
that capability, that Portland would need to support for at least a
couple years.

Bryce