[Portland] xdg_vfs_gnome command line client

nf2 nf2 at scheinwelt.at
Wed May 31 08:50:30 PDT 2006

Dan Kegel wrote:
> On 5/31/06, Jeremy White <jwhite at codeweavers.com> wrote:
>> Whoa.
>>
>> Wait, this all seems like a bad idea to me.
>>
>> The concept of xdg-utils, in my mind at least, is that every function
>> it provides is an abstract desktop environment independent function.
>>
>> The whole *point* of xdg-utils is that I don't want to know
>> the inner details of gnome vfs.
>
> Agreed.  nf2, would it make sense to merge the two to have a common
> commandline
> interface and accept identical input?  i.e. to make them both implement
> a common "xdg-vfs" command syntax and semantics?  We want to hide
> the differences between desktops, not accentuate them.
> - Dan
The 'interface' of the two executables is the same (it's even based on
the same C-code). The difficulty is for example how to 'align' things
like direntry key-value pairs which are returned by the 'xdg-vfs info'
and  'xdg-vfs ls' commands. Gnome-VFS and KIO behave quite different here:

$ xdg_vfs_gnome info /bin/vi
filename=vi
size=483392
userid=0
groupid=0
permissions=755
mtime=1130217664
atime=1148982806
ctime=1139501366
filetype=REGULAR
linkdest=/bin/vim-minimal
mimetype=application/x-executable

$ xdg_vfs_kde info /bin/vi
filename=vi
linkdest=/etc/alternatives/vi
permissions=755
size=483392
mtime=1130217664
user=root
group=root
atime=1149090383
filetype=REGULAR

...and also how to deal with useful meta-information (mime-type,
file-size) which KIO spits out just in the middle of a file-download -
and Gnome-VFS doesn't.

Norbert