[Portland] xdg-utils first run report

Kevin Krammer kevin.krammer at gmx.at
Thu Nov 16 14:01:45 PST 2006

On Thursday 16 November 2006 20:42, Jeremy White wrote:
> So today I converted an application I work on to use xdg-utils
> to create icons for the desktop and for menus.
>
> I was tickled pink.  It took about 3 hours, and it worked nicely
> on the range of test environments I tried.  I was even able to
> inject my own version of the xdg-utils script and have it
> take precedence over the one I baked in.
>
> Very, very happy, am I.

Excellent! I love reading success stories :)

>     At the very least I need a landing page that I can feel
>     certain will not move, so I can point users there.
>     (This is a key part of the benefit I've always craved.
>     The if-you-dont-have-menus-dont-whine-to-me-go-here-instead page
> <grin>).

Do you think it would be a nice addition to have a collection of code snippets
which show xdg-utils usage in different programming languages?

I already did a couple of Java classes [1], but I am afraid that it might look
to much like an official API

Cheers,
Kevin

[1] http://people.freedesktop.org/~krake/xdg-utils/xdg-utils-java.zip