[Portland] Screen saver questions / proposal

Kevin Krammer kevin.krammer at gmx.at
Wed Apr 25 11:16:21 PDT 2007

Hi guys,

I have to say that I agree with both of you, partially :)

While I agree with Aaron that  dumping all kind of .desktop files into the
locations "reserved" for applications isn't a good idea and has to be taken
care of before it gets to be "the usual way to do it", I agree with Jeremy
that an application, which is capable of being used as a screensaver, should
not be required to install itself into a "plugin" section as well, possibly
requiring two different .desktop files being kept in sync.

I imaging programs like Amarok (or other media players) being used in a
screensaver like fashion, they could just indicate this capability in their
usual .desktop file and whatever GUI allows screensaver setup/choice would
also list it.

The question is how does the .desktop file tell which command to invoke for
screensaver-mode.

Cheers,
Kevin

KDE user support, developer mentoring