[Portland] Screen saver questions / proposal

Aaron J. Seigo aseigo at kde.org
Wed Apr 25 17:46:33 PDT 2007

On Wednesday 25 April 2007, Kevin Krammer wrote:
> Hi guys,
>
> I have to say that I agree with both of you, partially :)
>
> While I agree with Aaron that  dumping all kind of .desktop files into the
> locations "reserved" for applications isn't a good idea and has to be taken
> care of before it gets to be "the usual way to do it", I agree with Jeremy
> that an application, which is capable of being used as a screensaver,
> should not be required to install itself into a "plugin" section as well,
> possibly requiring two different .desktop files being kept in sync.

they would both be installed with the app and apps tend to change rarely in
this regard. if the app does change its screensaver behaviour, the .desktop
file would still need to be editted. it seems like very little if any
additional burdon.

i maintain apps with numerous .desktop files, e.g. for config panels, multiple
invocation possibilities, etc. so i'm not just speaking out my rear on this
topic =)

for the gain of the possibility of having screensaver functionality also in
the app menu .desktop files, we'd pay with more complex software to support
that system and having set a pretty bad precident.

i'm sure sys admins will also just love having to manage screensavers that are
also in app .desktop files, or alternatively having to deal with some files
that are apps and some screensavers in applications/ .. it just seems fugly,
and all we save is a few apps from having to install one more .desktop file?
*shrug*

--
Aaron J. Seigo
humru othro a kohnu se