[Portland] Screen saver questions / proposal

Jeremy White jwhite at codeweavers.com
Thu Apr 26 18:59:09 PDT 2007

> regardless of this discussion, there isn't any one place you can put
> your .desktop file today. so we will want an xdg-util for installing a screen
> saver .desktop file. which makes the discussion about the future somewhat
> moot from your perspective since you'll probably continue to use that xdg
> tool in the future and won't particularly notice the change in location when
> it happens *knock on wood*.

You're probably right.  The honest truth is that I was hoping to persuade
folks of a unified use of the .desktop; if I manage that, then it would
be inappropriate to add an xdg utility for a short lived purpose, and I could
find a way to justify putting off this work <grin of a lazy man>.

> the salient point here is whether in the -future- we should put them in
> applications/ or in services/. that's probably a discussion for the xdg list
> on fd.o. i had some preliminary discussion a few months back with a gnome
> developer who works on their screensaver support about it and iirc we got
> through most issues (mostly content of the .desktop files) with the on-disk
> location being one that we didn't get to.

Ah, thanks - that's the subject that reads:
  "Re: PATCH: Menu Spec - Categories"
right?   Ironically, I'm subscribed to that list, and have that
thread in my IMAP folder.  But I only searched subject headings...

I'll respond there now.

Cheers,

Jeremy