[Portland] xdg-open and default application launching

Aaron J. Seigo aseigo at kde.org
Sat Feb 3 10:43:01 PST 2007

hi...

i'm at the red hat fedora conference and we're discussing greater usage of
xdg-*. in fact, it stands a really good chance right now of finding its way
into the core installation and being used by things like packages during
installation and panel icons. =)

speaking of panel icons, one of the use cases that came up was opening default
applications. right now neither xdg-open and xdg-mime, to my knowledge
anyways, can be directed to open the default terminal app, for instance.
there is xdg-mail which does this for email, and one can feed about:/ or
$HOME to xdg-open to force the desired results more or less for web and file
management respectively, but that's not overly pretty.

what does everyone think about providing a way to ask xdg-mime, or even
another script?, to open the default app for a given use (terminal, web, file
management, etc) ...

something i considered was to have a new branch in the mimetype database
called x-default/ (or something similar) so we could have x-default/terminal,
x-default/webbrowser, etc... `xdg-mime default x-default/terminal konsole`
would then allow xdg-open to open the file by looking into the mime database?

i'll be speaking with a gnome developer shortly (one of the fedora managers
are off looking for the right developer at the moment) about this as well,
but i figured it would be a good idea to get input from the xdg-* people as
well.

--
Aaron J. Seigo
humru othro a kohnu se