[Portland] xdg-open and default application launching

Aaron J. Seigo aseigo at kde.org
Sun Feb 4 08:46:29 PST 2007

On February 4, 2007, Kevin Krammer wrote:
> On Saturday 03 February 2007 22:14, Aaron J. Seigo wrote:
> > On February 3, 2007, Kevin Krammer wrote:

> > i think we can expect this to be in the next release of fedora. if not 7,
> > then certainly 8 but perhaps even 7 particularly if we can get the
> > xdg-defaultapp (or whatever) script available in cvs in time.
>
> Unfortunately I am currently tied up with Qt3 D-Bus and the respective KDE
> implementation for DAPI.

understandable; let's see if i/we can find a way to get this script written
besides you =) what would you like the script(s) to be named? should we just
add one for filemanager and webbrowser next to -terminal or provide something
more generic that takes as a parameter which default app to launch?
(personally i don't care, just looking for direction from those of you who
have almost certainly spent more time thinking about these details than i
have =)

> > i think having it in fedora will be a Big Thing(tm) for the obvious
> > reasons (usage, testing, lsb, etc)
>
> It is also packaged by Debian, though I think nothing depends on it yet,
> but they have some patches to make the generic execution branches fall back
> to their helper scripts.

great; that covers two of the big distro worlds then.

> > > If on future desktops work can be delegated to a desktop independet
> > > tool which happens to access the same database the desktop themselves
> > > use, all the better.
> >
> > apparently there is exactly zero interest from the relevant GNOME
> > developers. one of the fedora "managers", who is a GNOME user himself,
> > talked to them about and the reception was not positive. =/
> >
> > they basically took the opinion that the gnome/kde situation is like
> > macos/windows: separate platforms so this doesn't matter. personally i
> > think that's not a helpful POV, particularly for ISVs and those managing
> > deployments with mixed desktops (e.g. google), but .... not much i can do
> > about it. oh well, xdg-utils to the rescue! =)
>
> I think it might depend who one approaches. Elijah Newren and Dave Neary,
> who both attended DAM3, were very positive about it.

yes, there's certainly a lack of continuity on these issues.

> And, for example for xdg-terminal, I received both the GNOME code path and
> the XFCE code path from people on this mailinglist.

i'll see if i can collect the gconf keys for webbrowse and filemanager while
i'm here. should be easy =)

> On the KDE side it would be great to have someone looking into support for
> KDE4, e.g. how can the scripts detect KDE4 and not end up in the KDE3 code
> path.

i'll take this up on kde-core-devel and see what can be done. right now
KDE_FULL_SESSION is currently set to true if KDE is up; it would be nice if
actually included a version string, or at least the major version #. i wonder
what that would break =)

--
Aaron J. Seigo
humru othro a kohnu se