[Portland] gconf kconfig and uniconf

Kevin Krammer kevin.krammer at gmx.at
Sun Jan 28 17:40:35 PST 2007

On Monday 29 January 2007 02:39, Jon Phillips wrote:
> Hello all, I'm very interested in this open source cellphone project,
> http://openmoko.com
>
> They are considering what desktop/app-based settings system to used.
>
> I'm of course curious if more has been discussed about a desktop-neutral
> api/system like uniconf?

There have been a couple of huge threads on this topic on the freedesktop main
mailing list (xdg at freedesktop.org)

If I remember correctly:
- basically all uses system can have multiple backends
- but additional requirements like lock-down, network config, etc. make it
hard to use one existing system as the backend for all

An additional issue, independent from the technical access, is the naming of
settings. So even if the same storage and retrieval system would be used,
different software would quite likely still use incompatible naming schemes

Cheers,
Kevin
KDE user support, developer mentoring