[Portland] Statically linkable library

Aniket Ray aniket at adobe.com
Mon Jul 30 23:21:32 PDT 2007

>> I wanted to know whether there are any plans to create a statically
>> linkable library for the utilities provided by xdg-utils command line.
>
>I'm not sure I understand the question: All XDG utilities are shell
>scripts, so there's no need to make them static. Why would a library be
>better?

Sorry for not making myself clear.

I want to perform the operations done by XDG utilities from within native code. Accessing the shell from within the code and running scripts without the user's knowledge is not the best thing to do. There's also a scope for injection attacks against the software by malicious parties (if calls to the shell are made from within the code). Secure deployment of the shell scripts is also an issue. These problems would certainly make a static library better suited for my needs.

>> The problem that we are facing with the DAPI interface is that the DBUS
>> is not currently deployed on a vast number of present day Linux
>> installations. Installation would require linux-root permissions and as
>> such would be a huge hassle for desktop users.
>
>What's DAPI?
>
>Can you describe what you are trying to achieve?
DAPI is the desktop API (available at webcvs.freedesktop.org/portland/portland/dapi/). But I gather that it uses DBUS for communication and adds more functionality.
So I wanted to know whether there are any plans for providing the functionality of xdg-utils in a static library.

Thanks,
Aniket Ray