[Portland] Install directory as a sub-menu

wwp subscript at free.fr
Sat Apr 19 01:49:14 PDT 2008

Hello Nathan,

On Tue, 15 Apr 2008 14:57:22 -0400 Nathan Kidd <nathan-svn at spicycrypto.ca> wrote:

> wwp wrote:
> > One point still unclear, keeping in mind that my concern is the
> > location of my app directory in the system menu: is that the
> > application .desktop file that should have the Categories key, or
> > the .directory file?
>
> Sorry, I've not used app-specific directories.  The general paradigm for
> the linux desktop is to use category-specific directories.
>
> I'm sure if you dig around the specs some more you'll find the answer.

OK, good. Now I succeed in creating a group for my application (w/
readme, doc, app itself and uninstall links). I can also add the app
link to the Development system menu. I think it's the best compromise,
as putting all my links in Development menu would be messy (and since
it's alpha sorted, wouldn't be nice), and if I don't add my app group,
the user won't be able to uninstall or read the doc from the menus.

IMO it would be nice if a .directory could support Categories= so that
it's added to a category system menu directly. Would that be a feature
request to submit or did I miss something?

Regards,

--
wwp