[Portland] xdg-open for "big" and "famous" DEs only

Ralf Treu smuf at emptiness.de
Sun Apr 27 09:25:58 PDT 2008

Hey *,

I wrote a small patch for xdg-open 1.0.2 that adds support for the rox
filer.

Since only the famous DEs support file management for the user's needs I
thought those with minor WMs like me with fluxbox, who use the rox
filer, could use xdg-open as well.

This is especially important because one can use for example the
tracker-search-applet in *box which uses xdg-open. Even to people who
don't want to use the rox filer it would be a nice quick hack to be able
to use xdg-open since it is much more comfortable to install rox without
using it then install gnome/kde/xfce without using it.

When rox is called with a path to a folder it opens the folder in rox,
when called with a path to a certain file it directly opens the user's
preferred application to display that file. piece of cake, at least for
me who now finally is able to use tracker-search-applet in fluxbox.
Thought maybe it's interesting for others as well.

(I didn't subscribe do the mailing list yet, so if there are any
comments please send them directly. Sorry for inconvenience.)
cheers
Ralf