[Portland] Using Xdg-utils on distros where they're not available

wwp subscript at free.fr
Thu Mar 27 15:37:15 PDT 2008

Hello there,

I'm setting up desktop integration (install/uninstall on GNU/Linux
systems) for an application, mostly using Xdg-utils. While testing it,
I could find various distros where XdgUtils 1.0/1.0.1/1.0.2 are
available, and many, older, where they're not.

Now I wonder.. what about distros where Xdg-utils are not present?
According to the wiki, it's recommended to install a copy of the
scripts somewhere and use those ones to perform desktop integration.

But will it be pertinent on all "old" systems (yeah, "old" would have
to be defined)? Are they clues about cases where Xdg-utils will work
or fail, or more or less work on that "old" distros?

As a last fallback, I'm thinking of implementing simple procedures to
install/uninstall to desktop if LSB basics are matched in both $HOME
and /usr, doing as good as possible according to simple heuristics.
Does it makes sense? Using rpm/deb packaging is not an option for now.

At last, will Xdg-utils be part of the further LSB 3.2 spec? Are there
known distros who told they will be compliant to 3.2?

Thanks in advance for any tip!

Regards,

--
wwp