[Portland] start menu entries do not show up after xdg-desktop-menu install

Stefan Wachter Stefan.Wachter at gmx.de
Wed May 20 07:53:13 PDT 2009

Hi all,

I have one .directory and a couple of .desktop files. I tried to install
these using

xdg-desktop-menu install file1.directory file2.desktop file3.desktop
file4.desktop file5.desktop

The command returns with no error but the entries do not show up in the
start menu. Then I tried to install them withouth the directory using

xdg-desktop-menu install file2.desktop file3.desktop file4.desktop
file5.desktop

Again, the command returned without error, but no entries showed up.
After I had set the XDG_UTILS_DEBUG_LEVEL to 999 I repeated the above
command and saw the command did write into various locations with no
sign of an error (see log below).

I use OpenSuse 11.1 with KDE 4.1.3. Does anyone have an idea what could
be wrong? Thanks for your attention,

--Stefan

update_submenu
Install locations for *.menu file:
xdg_user_dir: /home/swachter/.config/menus/applications-merged
xdg_global_dir: /applications-merged
kde_user_dir:
kde_global_dir:
gnome_user_dir:
gnome_global_dir:
Install locations for *.directory files:
xdg_user_dir: /home/swachter/.local/share/desktop-directories
xdg_global_dir:
kde_user_dir:
kde_global_dir:
gnome_user_dir:
gnome_global_dir:
Install locations for *.desktop files:
xdg_user_dir: /home/swachter/.local/share/applications
xdg_global_dir:
kde_user_dir: /home/swachter/.kde/share/applnk
kde_global_dir:
gnome_user_dir: /home/swachter/.gnome/apps
gnome_global_dir:
install polfha-starten.desktop in
/home/swachter/.local/share/applications
/home/swachter/.kde/share/applnk /home/swachter/.
gnome/apps
make_lazy_default
/home/swachter/.local/share/applications/polfha-starten.desktop