[Portland] New versioning/release scheme

Per Olofsson pelle at debian.org
Sat Oct 3 20:17:00 PDT 2015

Hi,

I'm proposing a new versioning and release scheme for xdg-utils:

1. Let's follow the semantic versioning (http://semver.org/) specification.

2. Let's release early and often. I don't think the release candidate
system is very useful. It's more important that we can release new
versions with fewer bugs, because xdg-utils is pretty buggy. The git
HEAD will almost always have fewer bugs than the current release. My
automatic test suite will hopefully help us avoid regressions.

The consequence of these two points would be that I would release 1.1.0
right away (no more rc's), and then we could release 1.1.1, 1.1.2,
1.1.3, and so on pretty rapidly when needed. If we add new features we
would bump to 1.2.0. In the unlikely case that we break the interface we
would have to bump to 2.0.0.

Does this sound good to you?

--
Pelle