[Promotion] Rolling up things

Thilo Pfennig tpfennig at gmail.com
Wed Dec 13 11:16:07 PST 2006

To keep things cooking I like to share some thoughts - some of them
older, some maybe new.

If we thing about marketing free desktops nad we would agree that we
need to collaborate (which we actually do), than we would need to
think about how marketing should be done.

>From the perspective of the unique selling point of all free desktops
- everybody knows that this is primarily in the name. the "free" - but
often not what is communicated in the first row. Unfortunately I'd
like to add.

If I look at organisations I see that the organisations oft the tow
big D's (desktops) on Linux GNOME and KDE have enough work to do to
organize their own stuff and also some collaboration via
freedesktop.org.

I like to discuss the idea to make freedesktop.org indeed more
important than it is today. The idea to this effort and mailing list
was to combine some marketing efforts. I think some things may have
been discussed or be done that have not been done if we haven't
started this (don't know). But I have not seen real forceful combined
marketing. I think this is like this because the organisational
infrastructure is still split.

I' like to propose another organisation for desktops: A FreeDesktop
Foundation. You can look at my proposal here:
http://wiki.pfennigsolutions.de/FreedesktopFoundation

Please share your thoughts on this.

Thilo

--