[pulseaudio-discuss] Resampling, Duplicate Front to Rear, and few other questions

Pierre Ossman ossman at cendio.se
Sun Apr 1 23:32:09 PDT 2007

Hofmann, Laurent wrote:

> My problem is that Pulse does not permit to have a dynamic sample rate. We
> must choose. Would it be possible to add an option to tell Pulse not to do
> any resampling ? It would just let the USB SoundCard do the job. I tested
> with all sample rates, it works, so the USB Card can definitively do that.

It's far from trivial to do such a thing. And the setup time for a sound
card (you can't just change sample rate) can be rather long. In other
words, it would be a nice feature but too much work with too little gain
for any of the main developers to look at it anytime soon.

> I also would like to find a way to duplicate the Front sink to the rear
> channels, I tried various things using the combine module but so far it did
> not work.

If you have two sound devices representing front and back, then
combining them with the default channel map should work.

In the longer run, the internal channel remapper should be taught how to
handle such cases.

> Another question : I see that pulse supports Win32 platforms, that's nice.
> In my setup pulse is under Freebsd, but my clients are under Windows (ESD
> plugin for Winamp). I would be very happy to see some plugin allowing me to
> export sound over the network using VLC, Winamp or even native sound driver
> for Windows XP. Is it something feasible ? Have you heard of such things
> before ?

There is some driver for EsounD and NT4, but I haven't seen anything
newer. Windows' is nowhere near as flexible as most Unix systems, so
it's very difficult to achieve this. Not impossible though, so if you
have a lot of free time on your hands. ;)

Rgds
--
Pierre Ossman            OpenSource-based Thin Client Technology
System Developer         Telephone: +46-13-21 46 00