[pulseaudio-discuss] PulseAudio on a Nokia device

Lennart Poettering lennart at poettering.net
Wed Dec 5 03:15:41 PST 2007

On Mon, 03.12.07 17:55, Eitan Isaacson (eitan at ascender.com) wrote:

> Hi,

Hi!

> I have been struggling for the past week to build PA packages for Maemo.
> We all have an old n770 at home gathering dust right? There was
> recently a thread about a tiny sound server, i figure an older nokia
> device is perfect, fanless, low power and Linux.
>
> I would like to permanently attach it to my stereo and have it be my
> primary sound server.
>
> I am not able to get any coherent sound output from the device, just a
> lot of crackling, as if the sampling is waay off. I also tried the
> esound sink module, and it outputs audio about every other second.

AFAIK the N800 uses some kind of special ALSA plugin for output, that
is not the most compatible example of an ALSA plugin. I am quite sure
Marc-Andre Lureau can tell you more about this.

> I thought this might be an ARMv5 issue, because of Lennart's blog
> post, but I haven't had any luck with the n800 either.

Because QEMU does not support the ARMv6 opcoes yet binaries for N800
are built for ARMV5 in nmost cases. Also, note that PA/libatomic_ops
does not contain native support for either ARMv5, or ARMv6.

And also, the atomic ops should not have any influence on the sampling
rate ;-)