[pulseaudio-discuss] default sink

Lennart Poettering lennart at poettering.net
Mon Dec 17 13:39:36 PST 2007

On Sun, 16.12.07 18:15, Ritesh Kumar (ritesh at cs.unc.edu) wrote:

> Hi,

Hi!

>     I recently installed pulseaudio for my desktop sound setup involving two
> cards. Everything is running fine and the setup was a breeze. Thanks for
> building such a great piece of software.
>
>    BTW, what does pacmd's set-default-sink/source do? What is the meaning of
> the default sink? I figured out that alsamixer (through the pulse alsa
> plugin) always changes the mixer controls for the current default sink as
> per the pulseaudio daemon. However, I don't think the playback of a
> connecting client always goes to the current default sink. Is this expected
> behavior?

Yes, as tanuk already mentioned, module-volume-restore (which is
admitedly badly named) takes precedence for known streams -- only
previously unknown streams are connected to the default
sink/source. And whatever clients configure takes precedence over
that.

>     Plus, I had a little suggestion too. Can we have a
> get-default-sink/source command in pacmd/pactl?

The "stat" command prints that already. But I guess we could add
explicit commands for this, too.