[pulseaudio-discuss] default sink

Lennart Poettering lennart at poettering.net
Wed Dec 19 02:10:40 PST 2007

On Tue, 18.12.07 16:11, Ritesh Kumar (ritesh at cs.unc.edu) wrote:

> That's right... but module-volume-restore remembers the sink for the client
> between client connects. So the next time the same client connects,
> module-volume-restore will not assign its streams to the default sink but
> one that it has saved.
> Basically, I need a module which assigns the default sink to a new
> connecting client and passes all its streams to that sink regardless of the
> current default sink (by default pulseaudio uses the default sink for any
> new sink-inputs). However, if the client disconnects and connects again, it
> should use the new default sink for the streams of the client
> (module-volume-restore preserves the sink for the client between client
> connects). The module could be called some thing like
> module-preserve-client-sink or something.

The problem is that currently not a single client I know is able to
reuse its connection. I.e. each time a new stream is created it is
created inside a new connection.

And thus I fear what you want to do is practically not implementable,
unless you resort to evil hacks like basing your decision on timeouts.