[pulseaudio-discuss] Static when stream volume is at 100%

Alex Malinovich demonbane at the-love-shack.net
Wed Dec 19 02:49:35 PST 2007

On Wed, 2007-12-19 at 11:41 +0100, Lennart Poettering wrote:
> On Mon, 17.12.07 15:04, Alex Malinovich (demonbane at the-love-shack.net) wrote:
>
> > I've just started noticing this recently, and I don't believe it was an
> > issue with 0.9.7 so I'm wondering if it was due to something introduced
> > in 0.9.8.
> >
> > When playing streams at/close to 100% volume, I get some pretty nasty
> > static. Looking at pavumeter, it seems that anytime a channel goes over
> > ~80% is when I hear the static. Setting a stream to a volume between 75
> > - 95% (depending on the source) makes the problem go away.
--snip--
> PA doesn't really care right now what the volume levels actually
> mean. Thus, some people complain that they still can hear audio when
> they set the level to "0%" or get awful artifacts when they set it to
> "100%".

If I use a standard ALSA output (without PA) at 100% volume, I don't get
static. Whether it's me setting the ALSA volume at 100% or PA setting
the ALSA volume at 100% it should be the same thing, right? Yet I only
get static through PA.

--
Alex Malinovich
pgp.net keyservers. Key ID: A6D24837