[pulseaudio-discuss] PulseAudio and Network Audio Devices

Colin Guthrie gmane at colin.guthr.ie
Sat Dec 29 03:37:35 PST 2007

Richi Plana wrote:
> I actually thought the two might be related in my case. What did you
> mean by "tunnel", though?

Well you were talking about using Multicast RTP to get sound to output
on several network devices at once. I really just wanted to get the
sound from one machine to output on one other machine. Before I really
learned about pulse's capabilities properly I didn't realise about the
module-tunnel-sink (which is now loaded automatically when zeroconf
detects the presence of another pulse system on the network - previously
you needed to load it manually). With a tunnel I can easily redirect the
output of one machine to another which is all I really wanted. ;)

>>> I am more confused than ever. If it helps any, these are the patches
>>> applied to my version of 0.9.8:
>>>
>>> Patch2: pulseaudio-0.9.8-fix-sample-upload.patch
>>> Patch3: pulseaudio-0.9.8-unbreak-tunnels.patch
>>> Patch4: pulseaudio-0.9.8-create-dot-pulse.patch
>>> Patch5: pulseaudio-0.9.8-new-version.patch
>>>
>>> Patch5 is your [2].
>> Should be fine. Again make sure both ends are upgraded and restarted is
>> all I can really suggest :(
>
> Are there any compile- or runtime options I could enable to help me
> debug why the virtual devices are immediately being removed? Try to
> figure out what's triggering the removal. Where the signal to do so is
> originating from. Etc.

Well run pulseaudio -vvvv on both machines and look for the error
messages that pop up. Chances are it will say "Protocol error"....