[pulseaudio-discuss] Pulse Audio System Overhead

Pierre Ossman ossman at cendio.se
Thu Feb 15 23:32:10 PST 2007

keith preston wrote:

> I am playing a MP3 through gstreamer(mad) to a pulseaudio sink (s16le
> 44100) to pulseaudio through the native protocol.
> In this configuration pulse audio was set up with an alsa output source
> (s16le 44100).  This is a direct alsa hookup (no dmix)

You completely sure you have the same in and out formats/rate? I'd
suggest feeding it with something that you know uses a different
format/rate and see how much CPU that eats.

> To me this seems like I am doing something wrong, that is quite a bit of
> overheard for essentially what should be transferring and buffering at a
> sound server.  I double and triple checked most of my setting.   Are there
> any performance detractors that I could be missing?   I started to
> investigate volume and noticed that changing the(pulse)  volume didn't
> affect CPU utilization.   Is the volume filter always on?   Even in the
> case
> where it should be an identity (100% volume).?  I definitely want to
> improve
> this, I just need a little guidance on where to look.

Volume is only done in software if that hardware is insufficent (no hw
support at all or not able to scale per channel).

Rgds
--
Pierre Ossman            OpenSource-based Thin Client Technology
System Developer         Telephone: +46-13-21 46 00