[pulseaudio-discuss] New application using PulseAudio and Simple API question

Lennart Poettering lennart at poettering.net
Wed Jul 11 18:02:10 PDT 2007

On Tue, 05.06.07 20:29, Ed Schouten (ed at fxq.nl) wrote:

Hi!

> * Ed Schouten <ed at fxq.nl> wrote:
> > I'm still thinking of a nice way to work around this. Anyway, here's a
> > first version of the patch, which also makes the mmap() calls work on
> > FreeBSD.
>
> I think it would be a lot better if shared memory (see shm_open(3))
> wouldn't be by filename, but by descriptor (with sendmsg(2)). That way
> you could immediately unlink the shared memory file after opening, which
> will cause PulseAudio to never leak any shared memory buffers (which I
> guess it now will when the client/daemon crashes).

We have been talking about adding something like this to
PA. Unfortunately fd passing is not portable. Espcially not fd passing
of POSIX SHM ids.

Nonetheless: patches are always welcome!

Might be rather difficult to hack though, because shm segments are not
just shared by a single client and a single pa daemon, but also be
multiple clients.

> I'm not an expert when it comes to hacking around in PulseAudio source
> code, so I guess I can't help you folks with this. Please let me know
> when such fixes are in the pipeline; I'd love to help you guys/gals test
> such stuff. :)

Please file a wishlist bug about this. I will have another look into
this eventually when I find the time to, However, it's not a top
priority item on my todo list.