[pulseaudio-discuss] dynamic loading for ALSA devices

Lennart Poettering lennart at poettering.net
Thu Jul 12 17:01:29 PDT 2007

On Thu, 12.07.07 16:56, Vasili Sviridov (vsviridov at exceede.com) wrote:

> Shouldn't it be possible to know everything HAL knows since you're using
> native API?

Sure. But the descriptive strings are not unique, while the device
paths are. So we take the latter to avoid any uniqueness issues.

Also, please note that the PA sink name/source name is intended to be
a more technical thing where it doesn't matter that the string is not
typable. GUIs should probably show only the device description
strings.

But of course, this is Free Software. If you have a better algorithm
for genereting unique sink/source names from HAL info, you're welcome to
provide me with a patch. If it is done well I will certainly merge it!