[pulseaudio-discuss] Zeroconf-publish fails to run

Rémi Cardona remi at gentoo.org
Wed Jul 25 04:11:20 PDT 2007

Lennart Poettering wrote:
> This is all probably due to limited maximum DNS-SD service name
> length. DNS-SD enforces a maxium service name length of 63 UTF-8
> characters. If the name returned by the HW driver is overly long this
> results in an invalid string that Avahi refuses the accept.
>
> The fix is easy: just truncate/ellipsize the hw driver name so that the total
> size never grows larger than 63 characters.

Confirming that truncating solves the problem. However, I've done this
just before the call to avahi_entry_group_add_service_strlst() in
publish_service(). This is probably wrong for many reasons.

Furthermore, I've done it using plain old strncpy() which knows nothing
about unicode...

> I updated the bug accordingly an will fix this in PA
> eventually. (Unless -- of course -- someone else supplies me with a
> patch for this.)

Any chance you could point me where I should be doing these changes?

One last thing, it'd be nice if the avahi doxygen docs included the
63-character limit here [1]

Thanks for your help :)

Rémi

[1]