[pulseaudio-discuss] Another gnome panel volume control issue

Lennart Poettering lennart at poettering.net
Mon Jul 30 12:39:21 PDT 2007

On Thu, 26.07.07 17:50, Jon Smirl (jonsmirl at gmail.com) wrote:

> I'm cross compiling an ARM kernel and putting a heavy load on my CPU.
> If I use the gnome panel volume control to adjust my volume the sound
> breaks up very noticeably when I adjust the volume. If I adjust the
> same device from Pulse Volume control (with same CPU load) there is no
> break up at all.

That's an issue the gnome-panel volume control. In pavucontrol the
information about the changed volume is only passed to the pa in
certain intervals, not really every time the user changes it. OTOH the
panel applet sends an event to the pa daemon every single time the
volume slider is changed even by a single pixel. Which basically means
that pa is bombarded with volume change request. This becomes
especially a problem if those events need to be sent over the network.

I could add a workaround for this into gst-pulse, but I believe the
proper place to fix this is the volume applet.

Have you enable real-time scheduling for PA? You might be able to fix
this issue by doing this, I you haven't already done so.