[pulseaudio-discuss] Flash Video Synchronization

CJ van den Berg cj at vdbonline.com
Fri Jun 1 02:07:08 PDT 2007

On Thu, May 31, 2007 at 07:21:29PM -0400, Paul Jones wrote:
> Yep, I double checked it is all installed already. Every thing with the
> name "pulse" is installed. I said I  DO HAVE libpulse-simple but I do not
> have the following files mentioned at the revolution linux site.
>
> [from revolution linux]
> It first tries to detect PulseAudio by looking for socket files and
> environment variables:
>
>   - /tmp/pulse-<USER>/native     (I don't have it)

This file (socket to be exact) is created when you start pulseaudio under a
normal user account.

>   - /var/lib/run/pulse/native            (I don't have it)

This path is wrong. It should be /var/run/pulse/native. This is the socket
that pulseaudio creates when you run it in system wide daemon mode. (ie.
when you start it using the init script)

>   - PULSE_SERVER / PULSE_BINARY variables      (Don't know what their
>   talking about)

You force pulseaudio clients to connect to any pulseaudio daemon you want by
setting the PULSE_SERVER environment variable. For example:

$ export PULSE_SERVER=my-other-machine.local

to connect to a pulseaudio daemon running on the host
my-other-machine.local. Or:

$ export PULSE_SERVER=unix:/var/run/pulse/native

to connect to a pulseaudio daemon running in system wide mode on the local
machine.

See http://www.pulseaudio.org/wiki/ServerStrings for the full details. FAQ
#18 might be of help too.

> I seriously do not know what is going wrong. I never had a problem with
> pulseaudio before but now after I reinstalled Debian with their latest
> Lenny disc I have these problems with synchronization and system sounds.
>
> I don't know where I screwed up, and I've been able to setup pulseaudio on
> other computers. (Before Lenny)

PulseAudio usually works fine "out of the box" on Lenny. Maybe your best bet
is to purge all the pulse packages and reinstall.

--
CJ van den Berg

mailto:cj at vdbonline.com
  xmpp:cj at vdbonline.com