[pulseaudio-discuss] New application using PulseAudio and Simple API question

Ed Schouten ed at fxq.nl
Mon Jun 4 22:39:26 PDT 2007

Hello everyone,

I am the lead developer of a compact music player called Herrie
(http://herrie.info/). For people that aren't familiar with Herrie, its
major selling points would probably be its not too intrusive user
interface and its navigation (it lends a lot of UI stuff from vi/mutt).

A few days ago I went to Berlin to LinuxTag and there was this talk
about PulseAudio, which interested me a lot. Since Herrie doesn't need
to do a lot of complex tricks, I yesterday wrote this audio output
module for Herrie that uses PulseAudio's Simple interface. I'd like to
say the Simple interface rocks; I ported Herrie to PulseAudio in like 15
minutes! The module will be part of the 1.8 release, which will be
released in a month or two.

Now there is only one slight problem with the current module I wrote.
Herrie has a feature which allows users to chroot() the application in a
certain directory. This is really useful if you're using the application
in an untrusted setup or on parties. At our UNIX users group at school
we use such a setup as well.

When we want to support chroot(), we must open the device before the
actual chroot() call and only close the device when shutting down. This
is what the OSS module does, for example. When I look at the API of the
Simple API, there is no way to change the the pa_sample_spec afterwards.

Are there any plans to extend the Simple interface to support such a
feature? I guess a good thing would be to allow the `ss' argument of
`pa_simple_new()' to be NULL and add a routine called
`pa_simple_set_samplespec()'.

Yours,
--
 Ed Schouten <ed at fxq.nl>