[pulseaudio-discuss] can't get pulseaudio-esound-compat to work

Matteo Zandi matteo.zandi at gmail.com
Mon Mar 12 15:26:14 PDT 2007

Hi all,

I installed pulseaudio on my Feisty test partition, the purpose of this
partition is to test a setup that will become my future standard one.

Pulseaudio works basically out of the box (ie with mplayer). Alsa works as
well using pulse as default pcm, using the following /etc/asound.conf

pcm.pulse {
    type pulse
}

ctl.pulse {
    type pulse
}

pcm.!default {
    type pulse
}

ctl.!default {
    type pulse
}

I also setted up pulse in gstreamer using gstreamer-properties, so that all
my gstreamer apps like totem, rhythmbox, etc work using directly pulse.

I have only one problem left: ESD, it doesn't work neither using esdplay or
any other apps

matteo at burnt:~$ esdplay startup.wav
esdplay: pcm_params.c:2351: sndrv_pcm_hw_params: Assertion `err >= 0'
failed.
Usage:program_name [address][:port]Aborted
matteo at burnt:~$ mplayer -ao esd startup.wav
MPlayer 2:1.0~rc1-0ubuntu7 (C) 2000-2006 MPlayer Team
CPU: Intel(R) Pentium(R) M processor 2.00GHz (Family: 6, Model: 13,
Stepping: 8)
Compiled with runtime CPU detection.
Can't open joystick device /dev/input/js0: No such file or directory
Can't init input joystick
mplayer: could not connect to socket
mplayer: No such file or directory
Failed to open LIRC support. You will not be able to use your remote
control.

Playing startup.wav.
Audio file file format detected.
Opening audio decoder: [pcm] Uncompressed PCM audio decoder
AUDIO: 44100 Hz, 2 ch, s16le, 1411.2 kbit/100.00% (ratio: 176400->176400)
Selected audio codec: [pcm] afm: pcm (Uncompressed PCM)
[AO ESD] esd_open_sound failed: No child processes
Could not open/initialize audio device -> no sound.
Usage:program_name [address][:port]Audio: no sound
Video: no video

Exiting... (End of file)

Of course I followed the pulseaudio perfect setup guide..

$ vdir /usr/bin/esd
lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 18 Mar  8 14:28 /usr/bin/esd -> /usr/bin/esdcompat

$ cat /etc/pulse/default.pa | grep esound
.ifexists /usr/lib/pulse-0.9/modules/module-esound-protocol-unix.so
### Load esound protocol
load-module module-esound-protocol-unix

$ gconftool -g /system/gstreamer/0.10/default/audiosink
pulsesink
$ gconftool -g /system/gstreamer/0.10/default/audiosrc
pulsesrc

.. with no joy

Can you help me solving this? Esound works on my standard edgy partition and
works in feisty if I sound the esound package, Why isn't it working with
pulseaudio?
This also causes some apps to be really slow.. I believe they're trying to
trigger some sounds (gnome sounds of course do not work) so they are somehow
stuck because of esd broken.

Pulseaudio and esound configuration files attached.
Thanks,
Matteo