[pulseaudio-discuss] can't get pulseaudio-esound-compat to work

Paul Jones raptorman18 at gmail.com
Fri Mar 23 13:07:55 PDT 2007

I originally posted this in response to your problem on the debian user
forums. I'm just wondering if you've read it, so I put it here too.

I do have some suggestions to get the system sounds to play. As I remember
there are some dependencies to get the sounds to play. As far as I know the
sound files that are necessary do not even exist until you install them. If
you could find some type of Ubuntu how-to for system sounds I would follow
it exactly and it should still work even if you are using pulseaudio.

If you can't find one these are the packages that I think you may need.

gstreamer-esd ( or something like that, its the esd gstreamer plugin if you
do not already have it installed, you probably do)

linux-sound-base (i believe that is what it is called)

gnome-audio ( this is the package that contains the sound files i believe)

then restart and see if you got system sounds, of course make sure the
pulseaudio server is started as it should on startup

once again if you can find some ubuntu documentation on system sounds i
suggest you follow it, it should still work with pulseaudio.