[pulseaudio-discuss] Sync'd output on several computers in heterogeneous network

Svein Halvor Halvorsen pulse at svein.halvorsen.cc
Sun May 13 04:28:51 PDT 2007

Hi, again!

I also have a question regarding a home entertainment setup:

I live in a shared apartment with some other people. We're all students,
and we've got an mpd server hooked up to an amplifier in our living
room. In addition, we all got computers hooked up to our own stereo
systems in all our rooms, and it would be nice to have the same music
playing everywhere in our apartment, eg. when we're having parties.

So: If I use the rtp multicast thing, will all the clients (one Ubuntu,
one FreeBSD, one Mac OS X and two Windows 'puters) be synchronized? Cuz,
when you're standing in the hallway, you'll be hearing several of the
loudspeakers at the same time, and we don't want echo. (A little reverb
might be ok, as long as it's not annoying to listen to).

Would this be better served by running a pulseaudio server on each of
the computers, and have the "source" pulseaudio server
forward/tunnel/whatever to the "sink" servers?

We don't care if there's some latency, as long as all clients are in
sync, as this is only for music, and not video.

	Best regards,
	Svein Halvor