[pulseaudio-discuss] Mixing streams

Tanu Kaskinen tanuk at iki.fi
Thu Nov 15 04:55:02 PST 2007

On Wed, Nov 14, 2007 at 09:56:19AM -0800, Dennis Fleming wrote:
> I have noticed that in pa_mix streams are clipped when they exceed the
> threshold.  Has there been any discussion on normalizing the output
> rather than clipping?  Or am I looking in the wrong place.

If I understood correctly, you would like PA to lower the
volume whenever the sample values get too high while mixing.
Should it then raise the volume back to original level after
there has been quieter signal for a few seconds or something
like that? I'd say that automatically turning the volume up
and down isn't the solution. I might accept automatic
"normalizing", if the volume stays down after there's been
need to lower it. But that's not much better than just
adjusting the stream volumes "manually" so that they don't
clip in the first place.

I put "manually" inside quotation marks, because the volumes
can be adjusted automatically to a predefined level using
module-match. I use it to set the default volume of all
streams to about 50%. Maybe 50% could be the default,
because at 100% clipping is quite probable with multiple
streams.