[pulseaudio-discuss] Pulseaudio as a systemwide deamon and as the default ALSA plugin doesn't seem to work right.... ?

Kevin Williams kevkim55 at gmail.com
Thu Nov 15 08:59:09 PST 2007

On November 15, 2007 06:17:07 am Diego 'Flameeyes' Pettenò wrote:
> This sounds like a message coming from xine, or at least it is quite
> similar from the xine message expressing the same problem. If this is
> the case, make sure that you're not using hw:0 as device in the xine
> configuration; ideally you should be using the PulseAudio output
> directly (although I know already that the version shipped with 1.1
> isn't all that good, nor is 1.2 version perfect; I'm working on it).

I do get similar messages from the audio apps like mplayer, avidemux, rezound
etc. Repeatedly clicking on the play button (which triggers the same message
box every time the play/next/previous button is pressed) a few times makes it
work. Sometimes, relaunching the app is the only way to get it working.

As far as xine configuration is concerned, I've configured "auto" for both
audio and video and "default" for audio device. I've also tried specifying
alsa and pulseaudio plugin as the output but, to no avail. I get the similar
messages about the audio device not being available.

FYI, I've compiled KDE-3.5.8 with "--without--arts" since, I didn't want
multiple audio servers piggy back riding each other ! The apps work fine
otherwise when I'm not using pulseaudio thus, using the alsa drivers
directly.

Thanks for the reply.

Kevin