[pulseaudio-discuss] Pulseaudio as a systemwide deamon and as the default ALSA plugin doesn't seem to work right.... ?

Nix nix at esperi.org.uk
Fri Nov 16 16:59:35 PST 2007

On 15 Nov 2007, Kevin Williams uttered the following:

> On November 15, 2007 05:46:49 am Colin Guthrie wrote:
>> I'm not 100% sure but with 0.9.7 pa I don't think there are many reasons
>> to run PA system wide any more. User switching is supported so that
>> switching from one user to another work pretty well (tho' I have to
>> admit I've not personally tested this!)
>
> Does that mean, a systemwide instance is not recommended and wouldn't work as
> expected, likely to cause problems ?

Well it works for me without any of the problems you've mentioned.

Which apps are you seeing this behaviour with? How are they talking to
the sound system? (ALSA, OSS, native PulseAudio...)

--
`Some people don't think performance issues are "real bugs", and I think
such people shouldn't be allowed to program.' --- Linus Torvalds