[pulseaudio-discuss] Mixing streams

Dennis Fleming arsantiqua at sbcglobal.net
Mon Nov 19 17:45:51 PST 2007

I missed a few of the responses.  My questions came faster than my registration.  Anyway, I don't think DRC is the answer in my case.  I am working on an embedded system and expect pulseaudio to route and mix as needed.  The driver I have now is quite limited and not conducive to mixing streams.  I envision applications sending data at full resolution and since they would not have knowledge of other streams there is no way for them to decrease their dynamic range in anticipation of the final mix.  It seems that the simplest means for limiting would be to divide the output pf the mixer by the number of streams present inside pulse.  I haven't fully thought out what this might mean when some of the streams are close to silence, but as a first stab it might make sense.  I'm a little afraid of the artifacts from rapid volume change in each stream, but ramping the changes would help.

I'll play with it a bit.

Dennis Fleming