[pulseaudio-discuss] Pulseaudio as a systemwide deamon and as the default ALSA plugin doesn't seem to work right.... ?

Lennart Poettering lennart at poettering.net
Mon Nov 19 18:54:36 PST 2007

On Thu, 15.11.07 11:48, Kevin Williams (kevkim55 at gmail.com) wrote:

> On November 15, 2007 05:46:49 am Colin Guthrie wrote:
> > I'm not 100% sure but with 0.9.7 pa I don't think there are many reasons
> > to run PA system wide any more. User switching is supported so that
> > switching from one user to another work pretty well (tho' I have to
> > admit I've not personally tested this!)
>
> Does that mean, a systemwide instance is not recommended and wouldn't work as
> expected, likely to cause problems ?

It's not recommended.

But it should work as expected -- if you know what you do and set
everything up properly.

It boils down to this: Lennart isn't especially keen on helping you
fixing problems caused by setting up system-wide setup
incorrectly. It's more difficult to set up, and more difficult to get
right.