[pulseaudio-discuss] Pulseaudio as a systemwide deamon and as the default ALSA plugin doesn't seem to work right.... ?

Lennart Poettering lennart at poettering.net
Tue Nov 20 07:40:05 PST 2007

On Tue, 20.11.07 12:15, Andrzej Wasowski (wasowski at data.pl) wrote:

> On Tue, 20 Nov 2007, David Kågedal wrote:
>
>> My use case is that I connected the good speakers to my closet server
>> that has no console login.  I then want to be able to redirect my
>> laptop streams to the speakers, either using multicast or a tunnel.
>
> I have a feeling that Lennart somehow undervalues this use of pulseaudio as
> an actual network audio server, but given the amount of emails on embedded
> systems in this ML, it seems to me that this is the main reason for which
> people come to pulseaudio these days.  This was at least my reason ...

Uh. That's certainly not the case.

Making PA a good networked sound server required me to make PA a lot
more complex then it would be necssary if it was local-only. Also note
that very networkish stuff like module-zeroconf-browse was added by me
in 0.9.7 only, i.e. there's a lot of work happening in that
area. Networked sound always has been a priority for me and it
continues to be.

What I am trying to say is that people shouldn't use the system daemon
mode if they are not fully aware of the implications of that. i.e. you
lose hotplug, you lose SHM data transfer, the whole policy stuff makes
no sense anymore, auth becomes a bigger issue, and so on.